Quicksilver Plugin for Plazes
The Quicksilver Plugin for Plazes reproduces some of the functionality of the Mac Plazer: you can use it to check in and out of Plazes using Quicksilver (if you have a Mac and you don't use Quicksilver, it's worth your time to take a look).
The plug-in does not reproduce the "see my friends status" functions of the Plazer -- it's only an "update my status" tool.
I owe a debt to Tijs Teulings who created the Quicksilver Plugin for Jaiku.
How to Install
- Download the AppleScript
- Make a folder called Actions in the folder ~/Library/Application Support/Quicksilver (if one doesn't already exist)
- Copy the AppleScript you downloaded (Plazes.scpt) into this Actions folder.
- Restart Quicksilver.
- Ensure your Plazes username and password are on your OS X Keychain using the name http://plazes.com.
How to Use
- Open Quicksilver (using whatever your key combination for doing so is)
- Hit . (period) to open text mode.
- Type your Plazes status message.
- Hit TAB.
- Start typing the word "Plazes".
- When you see Plazes appear as the action, hit ENTER.
- If you've been Plazed, you'll hear a voice say "Plazed".
- If you're visited a brand new Plaze, your browser will open to allow you to enter details.
How to Check Out
If you've Plazed yourself using Quicksilver and you want to "check out" -- tells Plazes you're no longer there -- then use the status message checkout and proceed as above.
This short video demonstrates the use of the plug-in in Quicksilver.
Gory Technical Details
When you enter your status message this way, here's what happens:
- The AppleScript looks up the MAC address of the router you're using to connect to the the Internet.
- Using this MAC address, the script uses cURL to connect to the Plazes API and retrieve the Plaze(s) attached previously, if any, to this MAC address.
- If one or more Plazes are returned...
- The script takes the first suggestion (yes, this could be smarter, but it's not) and grabs its Plazes ID.
- The script sends your status message using the Plazes API.
- The script says "Plazed" (it actually says "Playzd" because that sounds better).
- If no Plazes are returned...
- The script opens your default browser and lets you create a new Plaze.