Making an OpenStreetMap handler for Operator
The Operator extension for Firefox is a nifty tool for exploring the nascent world of microformats. After adding some microformats to my website my next task was to try to develop a new "handler" for the extension, something that's alluded to here and explained more fully here.
Looking Under The Hood of Operator
I'm new the world of Firefox extensions and "jar" files and the like, so it took me a little while to figure out how to take a look under the hood of Operator:
- Navigate to your Firefox Profile directory; on my Mac this was under:
- In the extensions directory, look inside the directory somewhat confusingly named:
- Make a copy of the file called operator.jar you find there, but call the copy operator.zip
- Use your favourite unzipping utility to "unzip" the file.
- The result will be Operator in all its glory; the heart of the matter seems to be microformats.js